This course will focus on the working principle of the conventional mechanical seals, seal designs and arrangements will be explained during this course. On the other hand the course will cover the seal selection, installation and operation as well as seal failure analysis & troubleshooting. The course presents both the basics and up to date technology for the operation and maintenance of mechanical seals. The course provides a comprehensive overview about different types of mechanical seals and their characteristics and applications. In addition, due to the increasing shaft sizes and speeds as well as increasing pressure beside the restricted implementation of the environmental and safety rules, all of these demands and requirements directed the equipment manufactures to use a special seal type named dry gas seals. The principles of operation, construction, maintenance and troubleshooting of the dry gas seals are explained in details. A comparison between wet and dry seals is also included. Application examples are also given. During the course participant’s discussion, comments, bringing up their own problems are welcomed and encouraged.
Course duration: 5 days
Upon successful completion of this course the participant should be able to:
- Describe the working principle of conventional mechanical seal (wet mechanical seals) and its components
- Describe the working principle of dry gas seal and its components.
- Familiarize the attendees with different types of seals
- Explain the seal installation procedures
- Define the items that must be considered when performing mechanical seal troubleshooting, maintenance and installation
- Describe the required procedure to specify mechanical seal for specific applications.
- Understand the mechanical design of the mechanical seal and dry gas seals
- Highlight the importance of seals in the rotating machines.
- Learn the failure analysis and troubleshooting of the mechanical seal and dry gas seal
The course will be conducted with formal lectures, case studies and interactive worked examples will be provided. This training course includes the following training methodologies as a percentage of the total tuition hours:-
- 50 % Lectures
- 30 % Case Studies & Practical Exercises
- 20 % Videos and General Discussions
The course instructor may modify the above training methodology during the course for technical reason.
Who Should Attend?
Mechanical Maintenance Engineers and Design Engineers whom are involved with troubleshooting, selection, operation and maintenance of mechanical equipments. Entry level engineers all the way to senior engineers will benefit because of the course structure. The course targets engineers in the petrochemical, refining and power industries.
- Why do we need to perform sealing?
- Seal classification (static seals and dynamic seals)
- Applications of Mechanical Seal
Fundamentals of mechanical seal operation
- Seal requirements
- Packed stuffing box
- Simple mechanical seal – mechanical seal components
- Seal faces lubrication
- Sealing points
Basic seal designs – mechanical seal classification
- Pusher seal / Non – pusher seal
- Balanced and unbalanced seals
- Single seal and double seals
- Inside and outside seals
- Separate seals & cartridge seals
- Special seal designs
- API seal arrangement
Seal component materials
- Seal faces material
- Gaskets materials
- Hardware materials
- Overview of API 682
- API plans and seal arrangement
- Temperature Control of Mechanical Seals Sealing and Flushing Fluids
- Why it important to make environmental control?
- Seal flange ports
- Popular seal flushing plans – API plans
- Environmental control system components
Dry Gas Seal
- Operation and Basic Components
- Spiral Groove Seal Versus Shrouded Pad Seal
- Spiral Groove Seal
- Unit Design
- Application: Gas Compressor Seals
- Replacing Wet Seals with Dry Seals.
Seal installation for dry seals & conventional mechanical seals
- Pre- installation checks (equipment check points)
- Seal installation & seal setting in horizontal pumps
- Seal installation & seal setting in vertical pumps
- Seal failure analysis and troubleshooting
- Mechanical seal repair and seal faces inspection (optical inspection system)
- Case studies
- Glossary and definition of seal terms
- Post test