Machine Failure Analysis and Prevention
Machine Failure Analysis and Prevention
This Program aims to convey the latest thinking and best practice of all Equipments related to Industry Equipment Components, Operation and Troubleshooting Condition, Monitoring and Analysis via Lectures, Case Studies, and Program activities. Also, it gives a detailed advanced treatment of the detection, location and diagnosis of faults in Mechanical Equipments. Case studies, examples are used throughout the program to emphasize key points and to underline the relevance and applicability of the topics being addressed. It will provide a solid foundation for technologists moving into a machine monitoring and diagnostic role. All delegates will learn the technique, tools and the procedure of root cause failure analysis and failure mode effective analysis as a proactive strategy for achieving precise operation, and improving machinery performance. This course offers insight into how to analyze a system’s failure modes and define how to prevent or find those failures early.
Upon completion of the course, the trainee will be able to:
- Consolidate and update understanding of the Terminology used in measuring and analysis.
- Provide methods to improve equipment through the prediction and the avoidance of Equipment Failure.
- Understanding the critical necessities and priorities associated for maintaining machinery.
- Key procedure for the implementation of risk based failure analysis.
- Equipment critically and functional failure.
- How to reduce the overall life cycle cost of owning a piece of equipment.
- Maximize component life by avoiding the cause of failure.
- Be familiar with condition based maintenance rather than corrective maintenance.
- Implement real improvements in machinery reliability and plant performance.
- Use case studies based on both technical and non technical situations.
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for Operation Engineers, Design Engineers, Maintenance Engineers, Supervisors, and Planning Engineers working in refineries, petrochemical plants and power stations.
The course will be conducted with formal lectures, case studies and interactive worked examples will be provided. This training course includes the following training methodologies as a percentage of the total tuition hours:-
- 50 % Lectures
- 30 % Case Studies & Practical Exercises
- 20 % Videos and General Discussions
The course instructor may modify the above training methodology during the course for technical reason.
Day 1 Concept of Failure
- Pre – Test
- Introduction to Failure Analysis and Troubleshooting Systems
- Causes of Machinery Failure
- Machinery Design Properties
- Equipment Failure
- Types of Failure Causes
- Affect of Failure
- Failure Cascading
- Failure Modes
- Chronic vs. Sporadic Failures
- Failure Reporting
- Failure Reduction Programs
Day 2 Root Cause Failure Analysis Process
- What RCFA is?
- Why it is done?
- Types of Root Causes
- SEVEN Generic Steps in an RCFA
- Challenges in Setting up RCFA
- Sustaining an RCFA Process
- Application on RCFA (Exercises)
Day 3 Failure Analysis & Investigation Tools
- Flow Charts
- Fishbone Diagrams
- Pareto Charts
- Fault Tree Analysis
- Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA)
- Applications (Exercises)
Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA)
- Failure Analysis Methods
- Common Failure Analysis Techniques
- Implementing FMEA
- FMEA Procedure
- Application on FMEA (Exercises)
Day 4 Machinery Troubleshooting
- Condition Monitoring
- Machine Failure Modes
- Equipment Performance
- Methods of Detection
- Applications (Machine Failure)
Structured Problem Solving Techniques
- Win – Win Problem Solving
- Development of Problem Solving Skills
- Alternative Solution Training
- Formulate Alternative Strategies
- Guidelines for Decision Making
- Priority ‐ Setting
Day 5 Machine Reliability
- Reliability, availability, maintainability
- Risk Assessment and Management
- Life Cycle Management
- Reliability & Maintainability
- Techniques & Analysis of Reliability
- Human and System Reliability
- Human Performance Approach
- Reliability Centered Maintenance
- Centrifugal Pump Reliability Improvement
- Machinery Reliability Audits and Reviews
- Journal and Tilting Pad Thrust Bearings failure causes
- Mechanical Seal Failure Modes
- Lubricant of Pumps and Motors Problems
- Causes of Shaft Failure
- Causes of Coupling Failure
- Causes of Gear Failure
Pre & Post Tests will be conducted
Case Studies, Group Exercises, Group Discussions, Last Day Review & Assessments will be carried out.