Boiler Operation and Maintenance
Boiler Operation and Maintenance
This is an intensive short course and will be based upon a mixture of classroom instruction and discussion combined with workshop sessions. It will also make use of multi-media materials and involve small group and individual problem solving workshop sessions to reinforce the learning experience.
This course provides the participants with a complete and up-to-date overview of the technology of boiler operations and control. It reviews boiler types, combustion fundamentals, boiler fuels, and burners. Boiler controls and instrumentation and efficient boiler operations are then covered. Increasing the life of the boilers, best performance, and safe and economic operation with least pollution to the environment are the target and consequence of proper operation and correct control. Best practices of boilers operations and control that achieve these targets are then discussed with some case studies.
Who Should Attend
Boiler Design Engineers (Mechanical and Chemical), Boiler Inspectors, Steam Plant Operators, Maintenance Technicians, Engineers & Managers, Operation Managers, Safety Officers & Technicians, Environmental Officers, and Boiler Design Engineers are recommended to attend the course.
The course is broadly designed to incorporate all issues related to boilers starting with design aspects, installation, operation, control and boiler maintenance. Other issues are included within the course such as legal requirements and regulations, environmental and safety aspects, energy consumption, boiler efficiency and water treatment.
At the end of the course, the attendees will be updated with the following:
- The design objectives of safe and efficient boiler.
- The main concepts of combustion and boiler efficiency.
- The advanced information on state of art technology on boiler monitoring systems.
- The most efficient method to achieve the highest boiler efficiency with minimum pollution.
- Boilers operation faults, failure consequences and methods of prevention.
- Safety precautions of boiler operation.
- Boiler control
- Introduction and course over view & steam generator types.
- Boiler classifications,
- Boilers components,
- Performance criteria of boilers.
- Fundamentals of heat transfer calculations, steam generation & boiler circulation calculations
- Boiler fuels & heat transfer in boiler furnaces & heat balance calculations & numerical simulation models for a modern boiler design.
- A comparison of shell boilers and water tube boilers supercritical (once through) boiler technology
- Waste heat boilers & packaged steam generators
- Main boiler components
- The Ljungström® Air Preheater
- Superheaters performance
- Efficient operations and maintenance strategies for industrial gas boilers
Combustion and burners:
- Combustion basics
- flame temperature
- Types of Burners, oil fired, gas fired and combined burners
- Exhaust gas analyzers (dry and wet analyzers),
- Combustion efficiency as a function of exhaust temperature,
- Performance of a typical burner,
- Burner operation and control,
- NOx Control techniques,
- State-Of-The-Art Combustion Control
Efficiency of boilers;
- Definitions and methods of calculations.
- Flue gas losses.
- Blowdown losses, Soot blowing, Economizers and air preheaters.
- Boiler performance characteristics
- Safety valves and measuring equipment for boilers
- Boiler fitness survey for condition assessment of industrial boilers
- Procedure for start up and shutdown
- Firing control circuits,
- over firing and under firing,
- Compu-NOx technology for control,
- Water quality and requirements of boiler,
- Outside and inside water treatment,
- Blowdown charts and calculations,
- Efficiency and fuel cost,
- Deterioration of boilers;
- Overheating – Corrosion- erosion, Catastrophic damage of boiler (case studies and method of prevention)
- Boilers water treatment
- Feeding of chemicals,
- Anti-foam agents, conditioning treatment,
- Blow down
- Flue gas and soot cleaning technologies and environmental regulations
- Boilers control and operation sequence
- Load controls,
- Combustion controls
- Safety controls,
- High temperature trip control,
- low water and high water control systems,
- Alarms and indicators,
- Gas temperature monitoring and control systems,
- Steam and water pressure and temperature monitoring systems,
- Thermography and monitoring of boiler skin temperature,
- Ultrasound monitors during operation, General Safety
- precautions for boiler operation,
- Operators personal safety
- Acoustic leak detection and steam oxidation testing
- Burners control modules with case studies
- Boiler thermal efficiency testing.
- Boiler vibration problems