Boiler Design, Operation and Maintenance
Boiler Design, Operation and Maintenance
This course provides the participants with a complete and up-to-date overview of the technology of boiler operations and control. It reviews boiler types, combustion fundamentals, boiler fuels, and burners. Boiler controls and instrumentation and efficient boiler operations are then covered. Increasing the life of the boilers, best performance, and safe and economic operation with least pollution to the environment are the target and consequence of proper operation and correct control. Best practices of boilers operations and control that achieve these targets are then discussed with some case studies.
At the end of the course, the attendees will be updated with the following:
- Review of Heat transfer and Thermodynamics in the boilers, Water and steam, Types of boiler , Boiler component design and construction, Boilers applications
- The design objectives of safe and efficient boiler.
- The fundamentals types of boilers and their construction.
- Boiler components and know their specific functions.
- Boilers Commissioning, Startup and shutdown boilers.
- The advanced information on state of art technology on boiler monitoring systems.
- The most efficient method to achieve the highest boiler efficiency with minimum pollution.
- Boilers operation faults, failure consequences and methods of prevention.
- Safety precautions of boiler operation.
- Boiler control
- The main concepts of combustion and boiler efficiency.
- Combustion fundamentals, Practical burner design, Low NOx burners, Draft system, Chimney and Combustion fans.
- Boiler Water Treatment Systems
- Boiler start-up and shutdown, Normal/abnormal operation.
- Boiler Diagnostic, Inspection, Testing and Efficiency calculation and
- Boiler Maintenance: Preventive and Corrective Maintenance
- Inspections and efficiency tests and what to look for in boiler inspections.
- The major dangers associated with boilers and how to avoid boiler accident and explosions.
- The importance of Codes and Standards in Boiler design, construction and operation.
- Boiler plant safety practices and Common boiler accidents to avoid.
- Technology on boiler monitoring systems
- Boilers operation faults, failure consequences and methods of prevention
- Troubleshooting boilers problems
- Based on case studies (30%); Techniques (30%); Concepts (10%) and Role Play (30%)
- Pre-test and Pro-test
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
Who Should Attend?
Participants include engineers, operators, managers, and technicians involved in the control, operation, and water treatment of boilers and steam generators who wish to gain a more detailed understanding of best practices for boilers operation, control, and water treatment.
Review of Heat transfer and Thermodynamics in the boilers: Heat Transfer, First law of thermodynamics, Steam properties, Steam tables, Steaming Process.
Types of boilers: Classification, construction, settings, tubes, stays, boiler joints, boiler furanes, etc.
Boiler Fundamentals: Fire-tube Boilers, Water-tube Boilers, Cast Iron Boilers, High Pressure Boilers, Low Pressure Boilers, Steam Boilers, Electrical and Hydronic Boilers, Package boiler.
Boiler accessories: Water columns, gauge glasses, pressure gauges, safety valves, and other safety devices
Feed-water systems: Piping and valves, pumps and pump theory, and feed-water heaters Types, and general operations
Draft and Flue Gas Systems: Types, Components and Operation. Combustion Air Fans.
Superheaters Economizers and Air heaters: Types, construction and general operations
Combustion and Fuel system: Principles of combustion, complete and incomplete combustion, soot, and fuels, burner types and design, Gas and oil Trains, High Turndown Burner, Low NOx burner, Burner Controls.
Combustion and burners:
Combustion basics, flame temperature, Types of Burners, oil fired, gas fired and combined burners, Exhaust gas analyzers (dry and wet analyzers), Combustion efficiency as a function of exhaust temperature, Performance of a typical burner, Burner operation and control NOx Control techniques, State-Of-The-Art Combustion Control.
Efficiency of boilers; Definitions and methods of calculations, Flue gas losses, Blowdown losses, Soot blowing, Economizers and air preheaters
Boiler Feed-water Treatment: Chemicals, chemistry control, blow-downs, and treatment options.
Boiler Water Treatment
Feeding of chemicals, Anti-foam agents, conditioning treatment, Blow down
Boiler Operation Procedure for start up and shutdown, Firing control circuits, over firing and under firing, Compu-NOx technology for control, Water quality and requirements of boiler, Outside and inside water treatment, Blowdown charts and calculations, Efficiency and fuel cost, Deterioration of boilers; Overheating – Corrosion- erosion, Catastrophic damage of boiler (case studies and method of prevention)
Boiler Operation: Start-Up and Shut-Down, Normal Operation, Valve Types, Safety Valves, Low Water Cutoff Controls
Boiler performance analysis: Boiler efficiency calculation by direct and indirect methods.
Boiler maintenance: boiler tube failure and possible repair, water side and fire side maintenance, Boiler Refractory Care and Maintenance.
Fouling and Scaling in Boilers: Fireside and Water side fouling
Boiler Protective Devices: Types, operation and Testing, Load controls, Combustion controls Safety controls, High temperature trip control, low water and high water control systems, Alarms and indicators, Gas temperature monitoring and control systems, Steam and water pressure and temperature monitoring systems, Thermography and monitoring of boiler skin temperature, Ultrasound monitors during operation, General Safety precautions for boiler operation, Operators personal safety
Boiler Room Safety: Boiler Accidents, Cause and Effect
Boiler Troubleshooting: Main Boilers Problems their possible Causes and remedies, Root Cause Analysis (RCA).